Share Our Selves

Share Our Selves
"helping those in need in orange county"

Monday, February 14, 2011

Robbe Simon Reflection Day 4

Today I had little interaction with the clients we were serving, but it was still a day full of hard work. Our day today began by packing bread and pastries into bags of four, varying the different breads that we put into each bag. We then moved to packing rice, and even cucumbers. At one point we were packing cucumbers and oranges into bags together, which seemed like a pretty odd combination. Some of the other students helped staple and cut stationary while we were packing foods. Although the work seemed tedious at times, I never felt upset or bored because I knew I somebody had to do this work. I was helping clients just as much as someone who was actually getting to pack groceries and meet them face-to-face. We took a short break from the food packing and proceeded to sort clothing that had been donated into groupings by age and gender. The clothes varied from poorly maintained to brand-new and seemingly clean. I enjoyed this particular task because it showed just how much people were donating to Share Ourselves. The overwhelming number of bags made our work more difficult, but it pleased me just the same. For the remainder of our day, we went back to packing cucumbers and oranges. When we finally boarded the bus to go back to Sage, my back was aching and my hands were sore. However, the day's work had made me feel refreshed because I experienced something new today, regardless of its difficulty. I hope next time I will be able to meet the clients face to face again because I truely relish those interactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment