Share Our Selves

Share Our Selves
"helping those in need in orange county"

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 2 Reflection Allison Blanning

After being reassigned to the SOS group for my second Service Learning day, I was really excited to be helping low income people and their families from communities right in Orange County. We arrived and met the volunteer coordinator, who gave us a tour of the facilities that SOS has to offer and gave us some brief volunteer training regarding confidentially and attitude. Initially, I was really apprehensive as our group walked through the room where people waited to be called up to receive boxes of food, financial counseling, or medical care. Robbe and I were soon put to work making copies of flyers highlighting various services for the homeless and low income families. After quickly finishing that task, we cut and placed stickers on vouchers that would be given to families and individuals who wished to have a hot meal on Thanksgiving. After a while, the cutting and labeling did get to be a bit monotonous but I felt really happy that my work was helping someone in need. What impressed me the most about my first day at SOS was how this organization has made such good use of such a small space. The facilities aren't very big, but they have managed to fit a food warehouse, kitchen, and medical and dental clinic in one lot. It really shows that even small facilities can really go a long way in terms of helping someone in need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment